Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A Thought Provoking Experience



It all started with a facebook message from David Lee a.k.a. The Passionate Paddler, a facebook friend that I had recently been acquainted to over Skype regarding a project we were a part of. What all started you ask? An experience that would have me climbing out of that box I refer to as my comfort zone. David had offered up an opportunity to join himself and 8 other outdoor enthusiasts on a backpacking trip into the Algonquin backcountry. I  initially replied that it wasn't enough notice for me to go, despite my urge to break free of the cabin fever I was starting to experience over the last couple weeks. It was fear provoking, the thought of tripping with 9 strangers but the pull to go was much stronger. My wife was almost pushing me out the door reminding me that this is an opportunity I have been waiting for, that being tripping with other like minded people. Up until this point  we would go out as a family or I would head out with my son Hiker or a friend. This would be much different and I would learn later on that the comradery was second to none. My trips with my son have all been teaching experiences for me whereas this time it would be a learning experience, and that was appealing. So with this I got back to David the next day to let him know that I was in.

We had a few discussions throughout the week in preparation for the trip as we would be partners rounding out the 10 person crew. Our leader and organizer of this trip, GB, had dubbed this trip that would loop Provoking Lake "The Deathmarch". Sounded kind of intimidating to me but I never backed down from a challenge. When brought up, it was said that name was to be taken lightly, or was it? I would also begin communication with the rest of the crew via a facebook messenger chat leading up to the trip. Some people I had already known through facebook interactions and others I had just met through this medium. The stage was set for a memorable trip and that it was.

I crammed a 40hr week into 32hrs and was set to leave for the park Friday morning, EARLY!. I loaded the van with my pulk and gear the night before to leave time for last minute running around once I woke. At 4:30am I crawled out of bed and quickly got ready. I had to purchase 75% of my food still as I didn't have the time throughout my condensed week. Food was tossed into the van with disregard, I topped up my gas tank and with some folk roots blasting on Spotify, I was on my way to meet everyone at the West Gate.

With a quick stop in Minden at the CT, I realized it was 10 minutes before it opened. This gave me time to organize my food and get it properly stored. Once CT opened I quickly ran into to purchase a baselayer bottom as I forgot to bring any. Like a bolt of lightening I grabbed a micro fleece base layer and a jug of wiper fluid. Out the door I went (after paying of course) and back on the road. Fast forward to the Dorset area of the drive. I look to my right on the front seat only to find that the baselayer I had bought was for females. How different could it be I thought? I opened it...lacy at the waistband like the top half of some lingerie, that's how different. Oh well nothing I could do at that point, onward.

I arrived at the West gate shortly before the rest of the crew. We all filed into the permit office. This would be where I make my awkward attempts to break the ice and introduce myself to the group gradually one at a time. My thoughts at this time was that everyone seemed pleasant and I had felt a sigh of relief. After the dirty work of getting our permits, it was off to the Highlands trailhead. Here was where I realized that my Winter gear was a bit on the inadequate side compared to most others. As gear was pulled out I felt a small sense of embarrassment but it appeared that no one was judging and that was fine by me. I have always prided myself on making due with what I have and if what I have is not enough, I make due :) I could always use the excuse that I am not fully prepared to go out but that would mean I wouldn't, so I took what I had and went. Sometimes not having enough or inadequate gear can be dangerous but I felt that from experience I was good to go.




We were all given matching plaid toques provided by a lovely crew member named Joy. With our matching headwear we took trailhead pictures of excitement and anticipation and then we were off. And then bam! two seconds into the trail my strap on my harness for the pulk snaps. Oh jeez, will this be how I am remembered? The guy with all the crap equipment that holds up the crew. Not if I could help it. I pulled out my extra harness and attached the carbineers from my pulk to the daisy chains. In less than a minute I overcame my first malfunction. Oh and did I mention I was not wearing any snowshoes. In looking at the rest of the crews, I came to the conclusion that mine were not up to par and I would save them for around camp if need be. Good thing the rest of the group were breaking trail with theirs or I would have been post holing the entire trek., yikes! I learned within the first 500 meters that I could keep pace without my snowshoes and felt relieved. I still had traction on the uphill's and as long as I stayed on the trail I would be good. A couple steps off trail and I was up to my knees. How do I know? This happened often cornering. We all pitched in helping each other over fallen trees, hills and other varied terrain that slowed the forward momentum. We became a well oiled machine as we moved forward and laughter and jokes ensued. This made for enjoyable travel. Smiles, laughter and conversation in the great outdoors. What more could you ask for?! We eventually made it to our Day 1 camp. Shelters were set up. Three tents and two tarp shelters, as everyone in the group had decided to cold tent/tarp. David and I would be sleeping in a snow trench under a tarp. I was excited at this prospect as I have only cold tented and slept in a quintzee prior. With shelters up, dinner, drinks and a fire were on the agenda. This is where I had the opportunity to break out of my shell get a few drinks into me and ...well... you know the saying "Liquid Courage". I will talk to anyone at this point and it allowed me to be me without overthinking. Sad yes but being shy is something that I have yet to overcome. Anyway, the setting around the fire was tribe like and as hours passed, the numbers dwindled as members of the tribe retired to their shelters, leaving me to be the last. Once I decided to slide into the sleeping bag it wasn't long before sleep took over.

Day #2 began with a hardy breakfast cooked over the fire and after breaking camp, the running joke of the "deathmarch" was no longer a joke. As we merged with the second part of the loop the trail became increasingly tougher to navigate as the trail had not been broken in. It had appeared as though most people before us had turned around after camping at the first sites. The crew took turns breaking trail in their snowshoes except for me who continued to trudge on, sans snowshoes. The terrain also became increasingly harder with more accents and descents. The trail also snaked through the rock and trees making it more challenging for those with pulks and freight toboggans. The day came with many challenges that took its toll, but everyone pushed through as spirits could not be broken. With that said, the campsite on day 2 couldn't have come soon enough. When we arrived a fire was lit to melt snow and replenish our dehydrating bodies. The crew dug in and another small village was created. More fireside stories as cooler temperatures set in. I would opt for an earlier night. It was a taxing day and I was ready for a good night sleep. The "deathmarch" was REAL! ;)

Morning of day 3 was rang in by and early morning role call as distance needed to be covered to ensure members of the group returned home on time. Oatmeal seemed to be the quick breakfast of choice by most. A very creative time lapse of us breaking camp can be viewed at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dq1hzEZrh4&feature=youtu.be

Our final day had been upon us and picked back up where Day #2 had left off... more challenging terrain. This time it tapered of as we intersected the trail that had lead us in on Day #1 and it wasn't long before we were back at our vehicles bellowing a victory cry. We had completed our trip! There were no injuries, no complaining (at least not outside of our own heads) and spirits were high. Success! More pictures and video were taken in the parking lot before heading to Mew lake campground to change, hit the warming tent and regroup for a celebratory lunch at the Cookhouse Saloon.

As meals were devoured Joy had once again passed around another gift. A sticker to commemorate our trip and to her we thank.











There were parting hugs and handshakes after lunch with promises of future outings together and as I parted ways and began my drive home I could not help but think of the smoldering fire in me that had been reignited by this trip. A fire that had slowly been burning out over the last couple years. The intention is to add fuel to this fire until it spreads (so to speak) and ignites the passion in others to get out of their comfort bubbles, get outdoors and grow from these experiences. Let each outing be the catalyst for next.



To the #Provokingcrew (Grant, Peter, Drea, Amanda, Amber, Marian, David, Duane and Joyanne) thank you for including me. It was a much needed experience that came at the right time :)

Until next time, adventure awaits!

Two4adventure
If you haven't came across their pages yet you can find some of the crew at these links---->


https://www.facebook.com/ThePassionatePaddler/















https://www.facebook.com/TheCampingFamily.ca/

















https://www.facebook.com/BariatricBackpacker/

No comments:

Post a Comment